Does gripe water have any side effects on newborns, infants, babies? Many doctors believe that there are no side effects of Gripe Water on babies and it may cause no harm when used for a mild or less severe colic problems. But it is not appropriate for severe stomach pain and other gastrointestinal diseases.
Few Cases have been reported by the authorities where traces of infections and side effects have been observed by mothers on babies after using Gripe water. We have enlisted the common side effects of Gripe Water that you should take care of while giving gripe water to your baby.
Gripe Water Side Effects for Babies
- Mild Skin Rashes: The Herbal extracts used in Gripe Water may cause minor side effects. It can vary from mild skin rashes or upset stomach to severe allergic reactions on your baby.
- The risk of Infections: Sodium bicarbonate present in the gripe water is harmful to your baby. Sodium bicarbonate is an antacid which alters the PH level of acid present in the stomach. However, the acid present in the stomach helps in digestion of the food. But, balancing it with a non-natural way sometimes leads to concerns about risk for infection in babies. It can also affect the absorption of nutrients like calcium, magnesium, and iron in some cases.
- Decrease In intake of diet: Many reports say, after giving a dosage of gripe water to the baby continuously for one month, a notable decrease in the intake of diet has been observed, though the reported cases are very less in number, you should be careful about seeing a sudden change in the diet of your baby.
- Diarrhea: Intake of gripe water sometimes causes the irritation of the intestine causing problems like diarrhea. It is one of the most common side effects of Gripe Water.
- Allergic Reactions: Chamomile is the component present in the gripe water that can cause allergic reactions. For Example: skin rashes, swelling of tongue and throat swelling.
- Milk-Alkali Syndrome: A large amount of sodium bicarbonate present in gripe water may cause a drop in blood acidity (alkalosis) and milk-alkali syndrome.
- Erupting teeth: The high sugar content present in the gripe water can harm your baby’s erupting teeth.
- Unwanted illness: In 2007, FDA confirmed the presence of Cryptosporidium after investigating the illness of a six-week-old infant in Minnesota who consumed Baby’s Bliss Gripe Water, apple flavor and advised consumers to throw away bottles of the product.
- Not Trustworthy by Many Doctors: As per the WHO/UNICEF rules of the “Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding”, it is clearly mentioned in the Sixth step that newborn infants should not be given food or drink other than breast milk unless medically indicated.
- Alcohol in Gripe Water is Not good: Alcohol is no longer a common constituent in the composition of Gripe Water, but still, many brands are using it. The alcohol content in some gripe water is as high as 9%, enough to get even adults addicted to it.
Side Effects are associated with gripe water due to the alcohol and sugar content in the original formula. The “healthier” formulas of today’s gripe water that do not contain sugar and alcohol may not be as effective.
You can use Gripe water to treat Colic, gas, reflux and other gastrointestinal problems. But, it is always advisable to consult a pediatrician before giving it to your baby to avoid any side effects of Gripe Water. The use of Gripe Water is not approved in the United States and it could also lead to many harmful side effects.